Back in the Saddle Again

Welp, it’s here. We are officially a go for FET #4. After 2 years I am moving forward with my next round of IVF treatment. There are so many emotions swirling around it all. I am equal parts terrified, angry, upset, and excited. I desperately want this to work, but I am terrified of the fallout if it’s another miscarriage. Honestly, another outright failure would be easier to deal with than another pregnancy loss.

I had some hurdles to jump through to get here. The first step was clearance from my gynecological oncologist. Luckily, he gave me the all clear. I had an in-depth vaginal ultrasound to check out ovaries, followed by another in-depth abdominal ultrasound to check my pelvic wall to verify I am still tumor free. Luckily I am, so he is okay with me keeping my lady parts for a while still.

After that was clearance from my bariatric surgeon. He gave me the thumbs up at my one-year post-op. I have maintained my weight loss at close to my goal weight for over 3 months at this point so he is very pleased. His only word of caution was to make sure I had a high-risk OB and to watch my iron. Being an IVF pregnancy, as well as a geriatric pregnancy I am already on the high-risk OB side, so that isn’t an issue.

Lastly, I had my planning call with CNY to get my pre-testing done. I ended up having to have a repeat HSG, as well as 18! vials of blood drawn to recheck everything since it had been so long. Luckily I did knew it was coming so I planned ahead and got all of it lined up before even seeing my surgeon for clearance.

From there it was just waiting for my period to come for December. And of course, this is where my body plays games and turns into an asshole. The one time I want my period to show up its 3 days late and makes me take a pregnancy test to get it to show up. But the test worked like a charm, 4 hours later my period was here and it’s on (thinking the HSG likely threw things off a little this month).

So what next? Tomorrow is bloodwork and ultrasound to double check my lining is purging correctly and my ovaries look quiet with no concerning cysts, then I start the estrogen, steroids, and immunosuppressant drug Prograf. Then we wait a week or so and I’ll go back in for repeat bloodwork and an ultrasound to see if my lining is good for a transfer and my bloodwork looks ok. As long as things come back good, that night I’ll start the progesterone in oil shots and the vaginal progesterone for a transfer 5 days from then. So right now it looks like transfer day may very well be Christmas Eve.

If you’re the praying type, I could use it. If not, I could use all the good vibes. Here’s to hoping transfer #4 results is our take home baby(ies) finally.

2 thoughts on “Back in the Saddle Again

Leave a Reply